Friday, October 25, 2019

Trends

Cathy and I have lived in Durango for 14 months now. My, how time flies when you're having fun! When we moved here, I had no grand plans for training or competition. My thoughts were set more on exploration of this great state, not VOmax drills.

On prior trips to Colorado, I generally experienced little to no altitude sickness. Biggest effects of altitude were poor sleep the first few days, especially when going straight to high places like Crested Butte, and generally just sucking athletically at altitude. Many lay references cite it takes 1-3 days to acclimatize to altitude. This is BS. Maybe you get over some of the acute shock effects, like low grade headache, but it takes much longer for hematocrit changes to take effect. A commonly used metric is altitude in kilometers times 11.4 days. We moved to 6650ft, or about 2km above sea level. We previously lived at about 100m above sea level. Our new home elevation would take about 23 days to fully acclimate to.

So I would expect to see a rapid bump in performance in the first few weeks at my new home. I can't say I noticed a dramatic change in that time. I did get faster, but it wasn't like a eureka wake up one day and holy smokes are things better kind of change. I was still dismayed by how much faster than me the local community was on climbs. To be sure, Durango is a humbling town for amateur athletes with undoubtedly the highest per capita density of national and world champions.

Winter came, and along with it Biblical proportions of snow. Alpine ski touring gear was acquired, lots of time spent at 12,000-13,000ft sucking wind in the San Juans. Research is mixed on benefits of training at high altitude. Some of the benefits are cancelled out by the fact you just can't reach intensity levels of sea level work. I skate skied a great deal too, typically at 7000-9000ft elevations. You couldn't ride, so what else are you going to do?

When trails finally started opening up in June and July, I found my times on foot and bike were generally faster than late fall after I was fully acclimatized. Some of my best bike race performances back east were in April after minimal time on the bike, but lots of time on skinny skis. I think many cyclists fail to appreciate how effective this type of cross-training can be. Many in Durango get this, including Ned Overend.

Summer progressed, and my times running and riding up town climbs continue to come down. Why? I wasn't really doing anything different. Acclimation should have been complete a year earlier. Can acclimatization have a long tail to it? Was I just learning the trails better, pacing better, etc? Maybe, but at my age, I would expect an initial acclimatization bump, then plateauing or even slow decline, not steady improvement 14 months later.


Here is chart of four climbs I regularly push myself on. There are several others, and they all look like this. Two are running, one short, one longer, and two are riding, one short, one longer. I brought the data over from Strava into Excel for analysis. Data starts in August 2018 when we moved to Durango to present. Excel computed the linear trend lines.

What is striking is the two running trends show about 20% improvement in running times over this period. This did not come during first few weeks of acclimatization. It started 14 months ago, but the trend continuous 14 months later. My weekly volume of foot activity has changed little since NH. Long hikes on weekends, one midweek run.

The two biking trends also show steady improvement over 14 months, but more in 10% range. Am I just trying harder? My cycling volume isn't any different than last fall.

One thing that occurred to me is my celiac disease diagnosis last fall. I've been gluten free (GF) for about 11 months now. Most recent blood work still shows elevated tTG-IgA levels, like 2x the normal threshold. This really sucks, as this is after seeing a dietitian a few months earlier to pull all the GF stops out, basically GF extreme diet. No corn products, no oat products, only foods produced in GF facility (call the plant manager if you are not sure!) kind of extreme. Antigen levels continue to come down, but not at rate GI doc thinks they should. Thus gluten is still sneaking into my diet somehow. Despite being GF for 11 months, I've not noticed even the slightest difference in how I feel. Except for maybe...

I've been drinking coffee from the same bean for many months. It is a bean from Guatemala roasted by 81301 Coffee Roasters. Love that coffee house. Anyway, I've been having more trouble staying asleep lately, especially hours 3am until 6:30am wake-up time. It feels like too much caffeine sleeping issues. Generally I avoid coffee after 1pm because of this, and I have two strong cups in the morning and half a cup after lunch. The other thing I noticed in past few weeks is my first cup in the morning has become more of a stout jolt. Like hits me hard in 10 minutes, jittery hands, etc. Things didn't used to be this way. It could be each Guatemala batch 81301 roasts has different caffeine content, as roasting profile can affect this. This bean is known to have high caffeine too, as another acquaintance noted. Then one night lying awake in bed, I randomly pondered if being GF has anything to do with it. Where is coffee absorbed? I Googled it when I got up. Small intestine. The small intestine is what closes up when celiacs consume gluten. Could my perceived increased sensitivity to caffeine be first sign my gut is healing? I could find nothing to corroborate this on the web.

But then I started thinking. Maybe my continued improvement in athletic performance is another indicator. There is nothing to back this up other than pure speculation. I don't have a control group of Hill Junkies. It's not like I was sick and anemic eating gluten, although one of my post diagnosis blood tests did show anemia, the first time I was every tested for it. There were the other markers that went overlooked for up to 20 years pointing to celiac disease, like elevation liver function enzymes (recent blood work showed just into normal range first time in 20 years!), and that pesky detail that I have the bone density of a 80 year old woman. The issue that led to celiac disease discovery was frail bone health. A diseased small intestine may not absorb vitamin D and calcium well. It many not absorb a large class of nutrients well. I may not have felt ill, but it is entirely possible (likely?) that it had some impact on my athletic performance. Could there have been more top step podium finishes over the years? Who knows. Regardless, I'm not going to look this gift horse in the mouth.

Much of Colorado is blanketed in snow now. The backcountry ski pics and vids are making me envious. Our corner of the state has avoided the last three storms. It's all good, as the riding is still phenomenal. Looking forward to getting on both the fat and skinny skis soon though. This bump-up in fitness will play well into that.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Doug - glad to see you keep up this blog and the interesting observations. -CC

Brian B said...

Wildly interesting observations. I think you're onto something.
Thanks for the continued motivation!
Thanks,
Brian

BillW said...

Thanks for keeping this blog alive and sharing your journey!

ีuplay365 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Faheem said...

Hey mate , can you let me know about your experience with osteoporosis and what was the result of the medication ? I saw your post was posted way back in 2012 what's the situation now ?

Ufa88kh said...

Very nice and lovely work :) I like your good ideas, thanks for the inspiration!
wordpress
ufa88kh.blogspot
youtube
ចាក់បាល់ អនឡាញ

Anonymous said...

It is a collaboration between Chinese game developer Tencent and Konami, the copyright owner of Contra. The game will be 3D Side Scrolling. pgslot

Anonymous said...

no matter which channel We think about the players directly There is a test system. dooballsod

Anonymous said...

Our AMBBET before that Guaranteed to be safe for all bets. Absolutely no history of cheating. Very bang. pgslot เว็บตรง

HANAKA555 said...

do you believe that the direct web actually exists If you want to know You can come this way. pgslot

Anonymous said...

It's hard to get it for sure. super free slots There are great promotions to offer to everyone. AMBKING

Anonymous said...

Easy to deposit and withdraw via automatic system with no minimum Big web slots, direct web AMBKING

waii said...

Emphasis on modernity and beauty perfection The style of the fish shooting slot game is different from the general slot game, superslot

punrice said...

For beginner gamblers or a recipe that's perfect for professional gamblers. Because no matter what line you are, the way pgslot เว็บตรง

Anonymous said...

Let everyone play slots games comfortably, quickly, within 30 seconds, can conduct financial transactions ดูบอลออนไลน์

phim33 said...

The game is quite interesting because this game is a queen party game where the plot of the game is written to celebrate the queen's birthday. บอลโลก 2022

aom2536 said...

excellent response as well and what is unfortunate Yours will be gone and good things auspicious will come to you. you for sure สล็อต

pgslot said...

There are activities that give away free credits. or slots promotions that are not available during normal times AMBKING

น้ำตาล said...


Legend of Hou Yi slot game Hou Yi Guardian slot Guardian who restores the world to peace Once upon a time, the people of the world lived a normal life. สล็อต

Anonymous said...

Can be activated with every spin! Symbols are revealed in the center of the central reel. pgslot

Anonymous said...

Because today we have come to recommend the hottest game that is really broken for everyone now. สล็อต

Anonymous said...

inevitable. If looking for online gambling games, you can't escape from any game other than ดูบอลออนไลน์

Anonymous said...

can make money from playing online slots games there It will require techniques to play. which techniques to play pgslot เว็บตรง

Anonymous said...

Bet only 1 line bet, which seems to be nothing. but in fact This game has a chance of winning up to 97% ever. ตารางคะแนน

Anonymous said...

But I've never told anyone before. which today we will reveal Things to know before playing all online slots สล็อตออนไลน์

Anonymous said...

สล็อตออนไลน์